September 21, 2017: SITP Three areas of focus for 2017-18
We talked about our focus areas at orientation, and last year as well, so we are going to use these to shape our explorations in these SITPEC sessions.
September 29, 2016: Making meaning of content.
Our first SITPEC meeting of 2016-17 was held on Thursday, September 29, 2016 at the History Center.
We launched our focus for the year inviting Veronika Lopez-Mendez (principal of Rosa Parks) to speak with our Museum Educators about the role she sees her teachers playing at SITP. In addition, she talked about the difference our students have learning to make meaning of content and how we can support EL’s to build Academic Language.
Watch her 25 minute presentation here (includes PowerPoint slides at the beginning)
View her PowerPoint here.
October 27, 2016: Checking for Understanding
- 5 Minute Morning Meetings: Museum Educator plus Classroom teacher
- Checking for Understanding: Strategies you can use!
- Collaborative Conversations Poster
- Examples of Explaining
- SITP Resource Library
December 15, 2016: Incorporating Visual Aids to Enhance Learning
- Visual Strategies Action Plan: Let’s Get Visual!
- Do’s and Don’ts of Using Visual Aids:
- Follow up: Gallery Walk Notes Summarized: How Do You Use:
- Realia, Technology, Graphic Organizers, Other Visual Aids
February 27, 2017: Supporting English Language Learners (Mini-SITPEC for Museum of Man)
- ELL Strategies Action Plan: For EL Supportive Modification
- Follow up: Crowdsourced ELL Support Strategies: Speaking, Reading, Writing, Listening, Making Sense of Content
April 27, 2017: Authentic Learning
- Characteristics of Authentic Learning Experiences:
- What is Authentic to Your Institution? Key Questions brainstorming sheet:
- Prep Sheet for May 26 SITPEC: