April 28, 2018: Planning With Students in Mind
You don’t have to be perfect- just be aware! Considerations while developing your content for classroom delivery of your content and learning expectations. A few tips centered the discussion including: “watch where you step”, “use general phrases”, “ask questions instead of making statements”, use daily meetings with Classroom Teachers to learn about students”, pay attention to student reactions”.
Career Connections featured an interview with Balboa Park’s Civic Organist and modeled an interview, questions, answers and connection to SITP curriculum. Making future career interview opportunities accessible online – who what, where, when?
March 22, 2018: The Best of Intentions
The Best of Intentions activity was described within a published article some years ago. Because the very nature of the activity relies heavily on current cultural compositions of students within education settings, parts of the activity must be regularly revised. For this reason, the author gives educators permission to adapt The Best of Intentions activity to meet the realities of their particular situations.
The version of The Best of Intentions below has been adapted for use with Museum Educators in the School In The Park (SITP) program within Balboa Park located in San Diego, CA.
Led by Veronika Lopez-Mendez: Principal Rosa Parks
Led by Jennie Goldstone
Revisit your questions.
September 21, 2017: SITP Three areas of focus for 2017-18
We talked about our focus areas at orientation, and last year as well, so we are going to use these to shape our explorations in these SITPEC sessions.
September 29, 2016: Making meaning of content.
Our first SITPEC meeting of 2016-17 was held on Thursday, September 29, 2016 at the History Center.
We launched our focus for the year inviting Veronika Lopez-Mendez (principal of Rosa Parks) to speak with our Museum Educators about the role she sees her teachers playing at SITP. In addition, she talked about the difference our students have learning to make meaning of content and how we can support EL’s to build Academic Language.
Watch her 25 minute presentation here (includes PowerPoint slides at the beginning)
View her PowerPoint here.
October 27, 2016: Checking for Understanding
- 5 Minute Morning Meetings: Museum Educator plus Classroom teacher
- Checking for Understanding: Strategies you can use!
- Collaborative Conversations Poster
- Examples of Explaining
- SITP Resource Library
December 15, 2016: Incorporating Visual Aids to Enhance Learning
- Visual Strategies Action Plan: Let’s Get Visual!
- Do’s and Don’ts of Using Visual Aids:
- Follow up: Gallery Walk Notes Summarized: How Do You Use:
- Realia, Technology, Graphic Organizers, Other Visual Aids
February 27, 2017: Supporting English Language Learners (Mini-SITPEC for Museum of Man)
- ELL Strategies Action Plan: For EL Supportive Modification
- Follow up: Crowdsourced ELL Support Strategies: Speaking, Reading, Writing, Listening, Making Sense of Content
April 27, 2017: Authentic Learning
- Characteristics of Authentic Learning Experiences:
- What is Authentic to Your Institution? Key Questions brainstorming sheet:
- Prep Sheet for May 26 SITPEC: